Anna26

I came across this quote from the bible today. Now I'm not a person that reads her bible a lot, although I have a strong belief in God but I just thought how messages from him have a way of getting through when you least expect it.
I actually found this in a magazine...

'Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres'.

1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Maybe there is a lesson here for us all, with plenty more where this came from...I found it quite inspiring, what do others think?
Has anyone come across any more quotes, not necessarily biblical ones, just ones that make you stop and think?
Quote 1 0
Robin1971
wow, that verse hits me in so many ways... my father in law read that at my wedding.  to think that that is the way love is supposed to be and to think that my hubby was none of that through his affair and took all of that away.  and everytime i hear it in church or at the 2 weddings ive been to since DDay, first it gives me a knot in my stomach, than i get a hot feeling running through my body ( like now) and finally i start to cry ( like now)  so sad that something that is supposed to be so loving and mean so much to so many can have such a different and horrible affect on someone else.

i am sorry about ruining this thread, my fingers kinda took over and i was going to tell you a whole story about my verse that i go to but i cant now
Isaiah 43:18
Quote 0 0
foreverloved
I have a small stack of index cards that I read through of the verses that I have clung to over this past year.  

Here are two that I hold very near and dear to my heart.

The Lord himself will fight for you.  Just stay calm. Exodus 14:14

I personally tried to do everything to get my WS to see thing from my point of view and to make him stop the affair and to come back to me.  Which DID not work at all period.  It only made things worse.  Once, I got to the point of letting it all go...which is much easier said than done and it has been and still is a daily struggle, sometimes hour by hour.  That I left this situation at the foot of the cross and allowed God to work in my marriage did things begin to change and were easier to a point.  We stopped fighting and arguing.  I began to ease up and let go and I believe my WS sensed that and it helped him to relax maybe and to not feel like I was trying to control him.

The other verse is Daniel 3.:18.

"But even if He does not, let it be known to you, O King, that we are not going to serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up."

Which I know is not a verse one would think of as helpful or encouraging in the midst of affair healing.  But hear me out.  This verse is nestled in the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, when King Nebuchadnezzar set up his golden image and all were suppose to worship it, but these gentleman refused to bow down and worship any idols.  King Neb was getting ready to throw them into the the blazing furnance, and these 3 young man took a stand for what they believed in and had faith in God to rescue them and they made up their mind that they were going to trust God no matter what.  They knew that He had their best interest at hand.  I got to the point in my walk with the Lord and that state that my marriage was in that I gave it all to him and declared that even if my marriage did not survive that I would still praise his name and live for him because he had my best interest at hand and his ways and will for my life will always be far better than anything I could do on my own.  So currently I am living but even if not...I will still praise him.  

We are working on our marriage things are getting better day by day.   I still have my moments and of course we still have our moments.  But I try not to stay trapped in those moments.  Because that is not healthy for me or the restoration of our marriage.  I have more and will try to share more later, but currently these are two that have radically changed and challenged me.  
Quote 1 0
Kalmarjan
I can't remember the verse (I am looking for it as I type this... But it seems so fitting to what I've seen here...)

It's about how the Lord trusts that we will find our way, that we will choose what is right, and he gives us the free will to do so, as opposed to making us go that way.

It's fitting, because I've read (like above) where someone talks about making their WS see what they feel, what they are thinking, to MAKE them understand. But, it never works. It makes things worse.

It's irony that it's when you sometimes give up that fight, it seems to get better.

I'll. Keep looking.
Quote 0 0
Shayla
Anna26 wrote:

I came across this quote from the bible today. Now I'm not a person that reads her bible a lot, although I have a strong belief in God but I just thought how messages from him have a way of getting through when you least expect it.

'Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

Maybe there is a lesson here for us all, with plenty more where this came from...I found it quite inspiring, what do others think?
Has anyone come across any more quotes, not necessarily biblical ones, just ones that make you stop and think?

This is somewhat off topic, but I read recently about a women with a teenage daughter and a new crush. The mom had the daughter replace "Love" and "it" with the boy's name. After the daughter read the verse that way, she realized it didn't really describe her crush and that maybe he wasn't the right guy for her.
Quote 0 0
Robin1971
Shayla wrote:
Anna26 wrote:

This is somewhat off topic, but I read recently about a women with a teenage daughter and a new crush. The mom had the daughter replace "Love" and "it" with the boy's name. After the daughter read the verse that way, she realized it didn't really describe her crush and that maybe he wasn't the right guy for her.

I read the same article. I saved it for my daughter to read
Quote 0 0
SuzieQ
I have prayed the "Our Father" over my WH in bed as he sleeps way too many times to count.
Quote 0 0
TimeToFly
I have a couple quotes that I like & have them on post it notes by my computer. Here they are...

The first one is "It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance".

The second one is "You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step". 

I think both quotes say a lot for only being one line each! 
Quote 0 0
Anna26
Wow, you have all been busy...I think some of the best quotes are one liners.  Particularly like, 'You don't have to see the whole staircase...and 'nothing changes if nothing changes', and 'don't look back, you're not going that way'  So simple and to the point.

Another quote from C S Lewis, The Four Loves:

'To love at all is to be vulnerable.  Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken.  If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no-one, not even an animal.  Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements.  Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness.  But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change.  It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.  To love is to be vulnerable.'

Fabulous!

Quote 1 0
GenevieveO
I keep a running list of quotes that speak to me, inspire me, empower me, or touch me in some way. Some notables:

I don't need a perfect relationship. I just need someone who won't give up on me.

Fight the problem, not the person.

Do I stand in your way or am I the best thing you've had (Love is a Battlefield by Pat Benarar)

My love for you will outlast this beach, this ocean, this planet. (Scarlett Blackwell, I Am Fallen)

The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new (Socrates)

You can, you should, and if you're brave enough to start, you will (Stephen King)

I'm not a one in a million kind of girl. I'm a once in a lifetime kind of woman.

Create a life that will leave you awestruck

3 easy ways to die
1. Puff a cigarette daily - You will die 10 years early
2. Drink alcohol daily - You will die 30 years early
3. Love someone who doesn't love you back - You will die daily

It's better to be slapped by the truth than kissed with a lie.

The best relationship is not the one shared in good times but rather the one that has weathered rough times and is still going strong
Quote 0 0
GenevieveO
Thank you for starting this thread Anna. I needed some inspiration tonight, and this conversation has given me that [smile]
Quote 1 0
Anna26
I like the Socrates quote Gen, think that's what we are all trying to do..!
Quote 0 0
TimeToFly
I heard this today & liked it....."Everything is a process to progress". 

Very simple but to the point. Now all I need to do is try & put it into practice...somehow easier said than done for me!
Quote 0 0
Broken
I just read something from the book the shack it really hit home for me so I thought I would share "Living unloved is like clipping a birds wings and removing its ability to fly. Pain has a way of clipping our wings and keeping us from being able to fly. And if it's left unresolved for very long, you can almost forget that you were ever created to fly in the first place."
Quote 1 0