CrippledLamb
I could Google millions of ECard/meme/whatever you want to call them about trust never being the same, cheater's always a cheater, etc. -simple little quotes that stand very firmly in the way of a lot of people's ability to change their mind on an opinion.
It's very easy to jump on board with these quotes that can be very therapeutic or even so funny or real that you can't help but share. In my situation, I've noticed that my WS responds much more to these simple cliches than she does the thousands of pages and books written by experts and people who have been there or, more importantly, what I say about my own feelings. What frustrates me most is that it seems MOST of those cliches are written about getting out of a relationship rather than healing one that has been broken. Does anyone have favorite "Facebook worthy" cliches that are geared toward healing?
And does anyone else notice that pattern: while in the affair fog(after too?), a cliche beats a stack of books 100% of the time?
Quote 0 0
HonestWife
I've seen about 100 but this one comes to mind: It's better to be slapped by the truth than kissed with a lie.
Trying to make marriage work after my husband's 15 years of affairs. Just found out. Currently in house separation.
Quote 0 0
TimT
The pithy quotes are easily grabbed on to because they (1) reflect some truth and (2) support what someone already believes. These generalities are proclaimed as gospel even though they are not always true (and some are not even usually true). Any honest consideration of real life would lead a thoughtful person to less black-or-white conclusions.

For example, the "once a cheater..." proverb, if valid, would render all recovery attempts meaningless. But that's not true, and you need to go no further than this forum to see evidence of that.

One thing I've learned is that arguments against a black-and-white perspective are usually a waste of words. That kind of person isn't open to any other considerations. They are more apt to be moved by EXPERIENCING something that contradicts their belief, and even then it is more likely they will explain away the contradiction. (Read the book Mistakes Were Made, But Not By Me for great examples of this.)

But, having said that, I certainly enjoy proverbs/quotes expressing a perspective that recognizes grace and change. I look forward to reading what others have to say...
Quote 0 0
AHmember113
"She left the old story behind and stepped into another once upon a time"
"At some point you have to let go of what you thought should happen and live what is happening"
"I looked in the mirror and realized after all the hurts, scars, and trials I made it through. I did it. I survived that which was supposed to kill me. So I straightened my crown and walked away like a boss."
"The best relationship is not the one shared in good times but rather the one that has weathered rough times and is still going strong"
Quote 2 0