TJmay112
My ex wants 50% custody of our 6 month old son. I'm scared. He is an alcoholic. He brags about never changing a diaper and hardly picks up our son (when) he is home with him. I know I'm going to have to fight him. He can still see our son - I would never do that to my child. But I need to make sure it's morning visits before the drinking starts and he can not stay with him overnight! Sadly I have a very large file of photos texts and proof of his drinking and behaviors. I know I can use it in court. I just hope it doesn't come to that. Can anyone tell me what custody "typically" looks like? I believe the reason he wants 50/50 is to pay less and make my life a living hell. I told him I'll sign that you pay NOTHING just leave us alone but he won't... He's going to make our lives hell.
Quote 0 0
Dirazz
Generally the courts prefer an infant stays with the mother.
Quote 0 0
Anna26
He sounds like he's hardly a responsible adult.  I can't see that a court would allow him 50/50 custody while he has all these problems, and I think it would all be taken into consideration.  I think Dirazz is right in that generally, children should stay with their mother, especially one who is only a baby. 
Quote 0 0
Kalmarjan
Generally the courts will side with the best interests of the child. If there is proof of alcoholism inhibiting the father's ability to care for the child, then I can't see how a judge will grant 50/50 custody.

It's also worth mentioning that child care costs have only a small part to do with how much time a parent spends with the child, but it's more based off maintaining the same quality of life between the two households. In the case of my friend, he actually recieves child support because the ex wife makes millions per year while he struggles to make ends meet.
Quote 0 0
UrbanExplorer
Kalmarjan wrote:
Generally the courts will side with the best interests of the child. If there is proof of alcoholism inhibiting the father's ability to care for the child, then I can't see how a judge will grant 50/50 custody.

It's also worth mentioning that child care costs have only a small part to do with how much time a parent spends with the child, but it's more based off maintaining the same quality of life between the two households. In the case of my friend, he actually recieves child support because the ex wife makes millions per year while he struggles to make ends meet.

I would also owe my husband spousal support and pay high child support even with a 50/50 parenting time split.

In this case, definitely raise the alcoholism issue. Breastfeeding as well, if it applies.
Quote 0 0